ANCHOR + WAVESA PODCAST FOR WOMEN
IDENTITY EP.2 | Amy Parkins and OWNING YOUR FAITH
IN THIS EPISODE
- Growing up as an athlete (a basketball player) and the dedication she poured in to that | 1:47
- In addition to athletics, Christianity was a strong part of her foundations growing up | 5:39
- When you’re raised in a Christian household, but then you make the decision to own your faith | 8:23
- When faith and athletics mesh together well, and when one overtakes the other | 10:51
- A testament to free will | those in our lives that care about us, have to let us figure it out on our own | 15:39
- What kind of a leader are you on the court, off the court, as a teammate, as a coach? | 19:24
- When we’re not rooted in Him, and Earthly things fall away, then what? | 24:50
- Sports is still my thing, and it’s always going to be my thing, through Him | 28:48
- Give yourself Grace because God does | 35:45
1 | INTERTWINE CHRISTIANITY INTO ALL AREAS OF YOUR LIFE
We are not called to compartmentalize our lives when it comes to our relationship with the Father. We don’t have our friends on Sunday, that we see and interact with once a week, then we got back to living our separate lives. We’re called to represent Christ, always. The characteristics of Jesus should be seen in all areas of our lives, to everyone that we come across. Make sure that even when you’re at the post office, at work, or on the field, you’re representing your Father well. And that he’s forever present in your decisions and actions, daily. This applies to when you’re being a teammate and when you’re coaching; you’re focusing on fundamentals and skillsets along with faith development. If you’re a Christian, you’re a Christian no matter what you’re doing.
2 | HE’S WAITING
Amy’s story probably sounds very similar to some of our own stories in a lot of ways. We think that we can make it on our own. He gifts us with all sorts of skill-sets, talents and abilities and we lean into those and trust in those more than we trust in Him. But the good news is, no matter how far we wander, He’s right there waiting for us to return. We see this in the Parable of the Prodigal Son, that God is waiting to welcome us back into His presence with open arms. Abandon the trust in what you think you can rely on with yourself, and give everything you have over to Him.
3 | GIVE YOURSELF GRACE
This was a fantastic point because it’s so self-explanitory. God gives us grace, and doesn’t continue to beat us up for our pasts. That’s why He sent His son to die for our sins! He loves us, and He really wants us to love ourselves. Give yourself grace, because He does.
We’re glad to have you back for the next episode of our Identity series here on Anchor + Waves. Today, Wren interviews one of her best friends she’s known since childhood, a true gym-rat, Amy Parkins. Amy grew up in a conservative Christian household in Texas, where athletics were encouraged and your personal relationship with Christ equally as important.
Wren and Amy let you listen in to some awesome childhood stories, what it’s like being a mom, and growing into your faith. Listen in today to their conversation as we’re able to peer into this exchange between friends. It’s like we’re back in middle school and we’re the third connection on the phone as they discuss which NBA jerseys were in fashion, the important decision to switch from hats to visors, and instilling Christian values to your children.
You can also listen in to our newly launched Men’s Podcast Channel: Uncharted, as we’re currently running a sister-program on that channel for male athletes also called Identity.
WHERE ELSE YOU CAN FIND US
You can also find us in the following locations, or wherever you listen to podcasts. Make sure to subscribe and leave us a review!