2 john pt.1
The Underdogs: A Study of Jude, Philemon, Obadiah, 2nd + 3rd John
Hosted by Micah Harrison + Matt Winter w/ Special Guest Kristy Allen
IN THIS EPISODE
- We are going to walk through verse by verse and here’s why | 0:02
- Verse(s) 1 + 2 | Who is the “chosen lady”? Is John emphasizing “truth”? | 5:10
- Verse 3 | Truth and love. Why we are “showing our work” in this episode | 11:45
- Verse 4 | Only “some of your children”? John emphasizes God’s role as Father | 16:10
- Verse 5 | Two options for “chosen lady.” How would we research this verse step-by-step? | 19:01
- Verse(s) 5 + 6 | Do not depart from the truth! Love is both an action and a feeling | 24:10
- Verse 7 | We “mirror read” the text to see the false teaching that John is opposing | 30:25
- Verse(s) 8 + 9 | Stick with the gospel truth. Don’t go beyond it. | 39:30
- Verse(s) 10 + 11 | How to treat false teachers | 44:00
- Verse(s) 12 + 13 | John’s defense of truth is urgent | 46:45
- “How to Study the Bible”: Research | 49:00
1 | TRUTH
John spends a lot of time in this book defending the truth. Truth stays the same. We can not go beyond it. We never mature past it. We can learn how it applies in different situations, but the truth itself never changes. No matter how long we have been following Jesus, we never grow beyond the truth and the gospel.
2 | Inductive study
We spend this whole episode going verse by verse making observations about the text and asking questions. We spend a lot less time than usual drawing conclusions and explaining the text because we want to show you how we do this. It’s a pretty unpolished episode. Grab a bible, read through 2 John yourself, and then join us as we learn from the letter of 2 John.
3 | HOW TO STUDY THE BIBLE: RESEARCH
Always start by reading the text before jumping into research. Then go to study bibles, bible study materials, resources, commentaries, articles, and let then interact with what you’ve read. Get several perspectives. Sometimes they will correct and refine your understanding. Sometimes they will fill in gaps and answer questions. Sometimes you will disagree with the commentator. Research is often very important in helping us read and apply the Bible across time and culture.
We throw a curveball, but hopefully a helpful one. We are going verse by verse and show you how to make observations and ask questions about a text. We spend a lot less time than usual drawing conclusions and explaining the text because we want to show you how we do this. It’s a pretty unpolished episode. Grab a bible, read through 2 John yourself, and then join us as we learn from this New Testament letter.
WHERE ELSE YOU CAN FIND US
You can also find us in the following locations, or wherever you listen to podcasts. Make sure to subscribe and leave us a review!