back arrow
homebutton

History

History

God’s faithfulness and provision have been evident to Mission Hills Church over the past 75 years. We want to invite you to be a part of God’s story at Mission Hills and experience for yourself God’s power to transform your life for His glory.




1942

Mission Hills Church began as a small Sunday school group meeting at the little, red Curtis Schoolhouse at University and Orchard in June.

1952

The first building was purchased from Buckley Air Force Base. The building was moved to the foundation on 2 1/2 acres of property just to the north of the Curtis Schoolhouse on University. With a permanent location, the church began to flourish and became a part of the larger community. The church was soon able to hire its full-time pastor, Reverend Robert Noles.

1958

After Reverend Noles’ retirement, the church was shepherded by Pastor Richard Olson. He served for 11 years.

1968

The congregation soon outgrew the building. A new worship center, Baerresen Hall, was added as the congregation outgrew the building. Soon after, the church had a split, beginning a period of financial hardship. These events brought the congregation to seek the Lord for direction.

1970

Reverend Chuck Ver Straten became the Senior Pastor and brought with him a passion for prayer. This brought a season of healing and restoration and renewed growth. God had great plans for Mission Hills and under Pastor Chuck’s leadership the church grew to 740 people.

1983

Pastor Clyde McDowell became the Senior Pastor. Under his leadership, the building saw major changes including an expansion for the office and preschool. Mission Hills also underwent a major building expansion adding a new Worship Center. To accommodate the building expansion, Mission Hills purchased the Curtis Schoolhouse at the corner of University and Orchard. The school building was donated to the city of Greenwood Village who relocated the building 300 feet to the west where the city now uses it as the Curtis Arts & Humanities Center.

1988

The new worship center was completed and the church continued under the leadership of Pastor Clyde McDowell until he left to serve as President of Denver Seminary in 1996.

1998

Dr. Jerry Sheveland became the Senior Pastor. Tragically, soon after, Pastor Clyde McDowell was diagnosed with brain cancer and passed away. This was a devastating blow for the church family and was a challenging season.

2001

Pastor Mike Romberger was called to be the Senior Pastor of Mission Hills. Under his leadership, the church once again began to flourish with a renewed focus to reach those far from God. The church began to grow quickly and Mission Hills had to begin another building expansion, but the city declined the building plans.

2007

After a season of prayer, Mission Hills sold the facility to Aspen Academy and was miraculously enabled to purchased property at Broadway and County Line. The church continued to hold worship services at the old facility, during construction of the new campus.

2010

The new building in the South Park Business District opened. Mission Hills saw unprecedented growth and many people came to know Jesus as their Savior and experienced transforming lives.

2012

Mission Hills added an addition to the Kid’s wing to make room for greater impact in the families of our community.

2013

Mission Hills held its first outdoor baptism—seeing 150 people proclaim their faith through the act of baptism.

2015

Mission Hills purchased the building in Littleton for the Community Center. This was another mighty display of God’s power, timing, and provision. Pastor Mike Romberger left Mission Hills to become the President/CEO of Mount Hermon Christian Camp.

2016

Following an 18-month, nationwide search, God led Mission Hills to a man just a few short miles away, and Pastor Craig Smith was called to be the lead pastor. Under his leadership, Mission Hills continues to seek new ways to continue the mission God has led us to – Transforming Lives Period.